What is Gateway
The GATEWAY programme is designed to strengthen the pathway for Senior students to progress from school to the workplace.
It provides students with structured workplace learning, across a range of industries and businesses, while they continue to study at school.
Students are given the opportunity to ‘test drive’ their career choices, while gaining valuable ‘real’ experience and ‘real’ learning. GATEWAY gives the students confidence to make smooth transition from school to work.
The GATEWAY programme requires that pupils complete a minimum of 20 industry based credits. Placements
- Students attend their GATEWAY placement generally for one day per week for 10+ weeks.
- School attendance will continue as normal.
- Knowledge and skills to be attained by students who have their workplace learning assessed.
- Placements will usually commence in Term 1 or 2 with the view to being completed by the end of Term 3.
Gateway is fully funded by the Tertiary Education Commission (TEC). There is no cost to learners.
Who is eligible for the GATEWAY Programme?
- Senior College pupils Years 12 & 13
- Pupils who have a good attendance record
- Pupils who can keep up to date with academic studies while on placement (GATEWAY is addition to 5 school based subjects)
- Pupils who have a desire to explore a particular career path.
- Pupils who achieve 14 Credits each in English and Maths at Level 1
- Pupils who are ready to enter the working world but want some experience first.
- Pupils who have parental approval and support.
- Students are carefully screened before admittance to the programme
- Acceptance is by way of an application and interview process. The school reserves the right to select suitable pupils.
Avondale College is currently funded, and has places for 50 pupils in the GATEWAY programme. School Responsibilities
- Provide on-going support for students and employers
- Provide students with tools and specific safety equipment at no cost to the employer
- Provide students with Health & Safety and First Aid qualifications prior to placement commencing (if necessary also Site Safe)
- Develop a learning plan, in consultation with the employer for each student